|Memorial .||Tanga Memorial Cemetery|
Awards & Titles:
Family :Son of Robert H. Hughes, M.A., M.B. (Cantab.), and Laetitia Cavanagh Hughes, of Down House, Whitchurch, Tavistock, Devon. Born at Plymouth.
Unit : 101st Indian Grenadiers
Action : Africa
Lieutenant, Bangalore (1914)
The East African Campaign was a series of battles and guerrilla actions which started in German East Africa (now Tanzania) and ultimately impacted portions of Mozambique, Northern Rhodesia, British East Africa, Uganda, and the Belgian Congo. The German colonial forces, led by Lieutenant Colonel Paul Emil von Lettow-Vorbeck, skillfully fought for the duration of World War I and surrendered only after that war had ended. Other campaigns were conducted in West and South West Africa.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||United Service No. 2735 E.C.||India|
15th December 1913
27th January 1914
16th March 1914
UGLE records show "Died 27 Nov 1914"
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Book : 1921 - Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918 - Oxford University Press
- Document : 1933 - Masonic Roll of Honour - Freemasons' Hall Vestibule - United Grand Lodge of England
Last Updated: 2019-06-14 13:51:28