|1. Memorial:||Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial||Panel 50 and 52. Flanders|
|2. Book:||The Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918|
Awards & Titles:
|Mentioned in Despatches |
Family :Son of George and Jane Jonas, of Duxford, Cambs.; husband of Maria Jonas (nee Swallow), of Grithow Field, Madingley Rd., Cambridge.
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit :||1st Battalion Cambridgeshire Regiment|
|Action :||The Battles of Ypres 1917 (Third Ypres, or Passchendaele)|
Captain Frank Charlton JONAS is commemorated in Duxford, the village where he lived with his wife in the old rectory and where his parents, George and Jane Jonas, owned a farm. The Duxford village memorial celtic cross was unveiled in 1920 on the village green. The names on this memorial are ordered by rank and as Captain Jonas was the highest ranking casualty from the village, he is listed at the top. There is also a plaque within Duxford Church, dedicated solely to Captain Jonas, which informs us that he was killed aged 36, on 31st July 1917, near St Julien. St Julien, just North East of Ypres, was recaptured on 31st July 1917, the first day of the Third Battle of Ypres. During the offensive, which lasted four months and ended on the infamous approaches to Passchendaele, heavy rains and shelling destroyed the drainage system in the Ypres Salient, creating a swamp-like terrain. The Official History for 31st July tells us that these conditions were already prevalent as the 118th Brigade atempted to cross the Steenbeek stream; The Battered condition of the banks of the Steenbeek had hindered the progress of the second echelon of 24 tanks detailed to assist the advance to the third objective. Only nine came into action, and they were too late to take part in the assault. The combination of high explosive and swamp ensured that thousands of casualties on both sides, including Captain Jonas, were never found. Captain Jonas has also been commemorated on several memorials in Ely Cathedral, including on one of the 16 beautifully painted oak panels in the Chapel of St George. Here his name can be found under his home village. Within the chapel is a window dedicated to all ranks of the Cambridgeshire Regiment. The corresponding roll of honour, placed on a bracket just inside the chapel, contains 864 names. On 31st July 1917 his brother officer and Brother Mason, Charles Luker AWBERY of the 1/4 Essex but attached to the 1/1 Cambridgeshire Regiment, also fell in the same attack. Source; Gabrielle Orton UKNIWM Official HistoryMilitary Operations France & Belgium 1917 Vol II
31 July - 10 November 1917. By the summer of 1917 the British Army was able for the first time to fight on its chosen ground on its terms. Having secured the southern ridges of Ypres at Messines in June, the main attack started on 31st July 1917 accompanied by what seemed like incessant heavy rain, which coupled with the artillery barrages conspired to turn much of the battlefield into a bog. Initial failure prompted changes in the high command and a strategy evolved to take the ring of ridges running across the Ypres salient in a series of 'bite and hold' operations, finally culminating in the capture of the most easterly ridge on which sat the infamous village of Passchendaele. The Official History carries the footnote ?The clerk power to investigate the exact losses was not available? but estimates of British casualties range from the official figure of 244,000 to almost 400,000. Within five months the Germans pushed the British back to the starting line, which was where they had been since May 1915.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Triune Brotherhood No. 2121 E.C.||East Punjab|
|Joined :||Walden No. 1280 E.C.||Essex|
20th March 1907
15th May 1907
17th July 1907
Joined Walden Lodge No. 1280 from Lodge Triune Brotherhood No. 2121 on 4th January 1909
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
Document : 1933 - Masonic Roll of Honour - Freemasons' Hall Vestibule - United Grand Lodge of England