|1. Memorial:||Messines Ridge (N.Z.) Memorial|
|2. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||25C GQS|
|3. Document:||New Zealand WW1 Masonic List||N.Z.|
Awards & Titles:
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit :||Wellington Regiment N.Z.E.F.|
|Action :||The Battles of Ypres 1917 (Third Ypres, or Passchendaele)|
21143 Sergeant William James Vernon 2nd Battalion, Wellington Regiment, New Zealand Expeditionary Force. Killed in action.
See also: Auckland Museum Online Cenotaph.
See also: New Zealand War Graves Project.
31 July - 10 November 1917. By the summer of 1917 the British Army was able for the first time to fight on its chosen ground on its terms. Having secured the southern ridges of Ypres at Messines in June, the main attack started on 31st July 1917 accompanied by what seemed like incessant heavy rain, which coupled with the artillery barrages conspired to turn much of the battlefield into a bog. Initial failure prompted changes in the high command and a strategy evolved to take the ring of ridges running across the Ypres salient in a series of 'bite and hold' operations, finally culminating in the capture of the most easterly ridge on which sat the infamous village of Passchendaele. The Official History carries the footnote ?The clerk power to investigate the exact losses was not available? but estimates of British casualties range from the official figure of 244,000 to almost 400,000. Within five months the Germans pushed the British back to the starting line, which was where they had been since May 1915.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Wellington No. 1521 E.C.||New Zealand (North Island)|
13th July 1916
16th August 1916
13th September 1916
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley