|1. Memorial:||Oostende New Communal Cemetery||B 29|
|2. Book:||The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918||Pg.134|
|3. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||32C GQS|
Awards & Titles:
Family :Son of Mr. and Mrs. T. Saywell, of Gillingham; husband of Catherine M. Crossley (formerly Saywell), of 84, Nelson Rd., Gillingham, Kent.
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit / Ship / Est.: HM Submarine E41|
HMS E41 was a British E class submarine built by Cammell Laird, Birkenhead. She was laid down on 26 July 1915 and was commissioned in February 1916.
|Action : Naval Accident|
During the war there were a number of Naval Accidents which we have isolated because of their shocking caualties and the corresponding impact on members of the craft. There were a number of vessels destroyed in port by explosions which we would today categorise as 'Health & Safety' failures.
SAYWELL, Herbert Nelson, Engineer Artificer, HM Submarine E41 On 15 August 1916, HM Submarine E41 collided with sister ship HM Submarine E4 during exercises off Harwich. Both ships sank and there were only 14 survivors, all from E41. Another souce suggests sixteen crew members were lost but fifteen escaped including seven from the bottom. HMS E41 was raised in September 1917 and was recommissioned. Both boats were raised, repaired and recommissioned. HMS E41 was sold in Newcastle on 6 September 1922. Herbert SATWELL was the only Freemason on HMS E41 who was lost but there were two on HMS E4. They were; WARWICK J.C. Engine Room Artificer REPPER Charles William Petty Officer
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Beacon Court No. 1967 E.C.||East Kent|
26th July 1911
23rd August 1911
27th September 1911
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley