|1. Memorial:||Portsmouth Naval Memorial||31 Hampshire|
|2. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||46A GQS|
Awards & Titles:
Family :See also: History in Portsmouth.
Son of James and Caroline Vaughan, of 43, Herbert St., Landport, Portsmouth.
"The work provided by the shipbuilding industry in Portsmouth Dockyard has attracted workers from all over Britain for generations. Henry Vaughan's father James was one of them.
James Walter Vaughan was born at Pembroke Dock in 1865. After leaving school he trained as a cabinet maker and in the early 1880s made the move to Portsmouth to become a shipwright. Soon after arriving he met and married Caroline Ford (b.1864 in Portsea) and by 1891 they had set up home at 15 Chichester Road, North End with their first two children Frederick (b. 1888) and Henry Walter (b.1891).
By 1901 the family had moved to 43 Herbert Street, Mile End and another son, Albert had arrived. James and Caroline had also had two further children who had not survived infancy."
"In 1903 Henry Walter was sent to the Higher Grade School at Victoria Road North", the Southern Grammar School, "and was there when it became the Secondary School a year later. By 1904 however Henry had been passed by Civil Service Commission and followed his father into the Dockyard where he began life as an Apprentice Shipwright. Ten years later he volunteered to go to the Dockyard at Gibraltar for a term but ended up staying there for three and a half years."
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit / Ship / Est.: US Coast Guard Cutter TAMPA|
http://www.history.navy.mil/photos/sh-us-cs/uscg-sh/cgsh-t/tampa.htm U.S. Coast Guard Cutter Tampa (1912-1918). Named Miami until 1916. The 1181-ton Revenue Cutter Miami was built at Newport News, Virginia. Commissioned in August 1912, she operated in the Atlantic for her entire career. Among her activities were ice patrol duty in the north Atlantic and derelict patrol work out of the Azores. She became USCGC Miami in January 1915, when the U.S. Coast Guard was created by the merger of the Revenue Cutter and Lifesaving Services, and was renamed Tampa at the beginning of February 1916. When the United States entered World War I in April 1917, Tampa was transferred to Navy control. She began service in the European war zone in late October 1917, with escort of convoys between Gibraltar and the British isles as her primary assignment. During the evening of 26 September 1918, after shepherding a convoy to the Irish Sea, Tampa was steaming through the Bristol Channel when she was torpedoed and sunk by the German submarine UB-91. All those on board, 115 crew members and 16 passengers, were killed. This was the greatest combat-related loss of life suffered by the U.S. Naval forces during the First World War.
|Action : Naval Campaign|
Naval Campaign is defined as to include all sea operations where attrition rates are in ones and twos and which do not fall within specific naval battles such as Jutland, Coronel, Falklands etc. This includes Merchant Navy losses.
In September 1918 Henry Walter Vaughan set sail for home aboard the United States convoy protection vessel Tampa. On 26th September Tampa parted company with convoy HG-107 which she had escorted from Gibraltar to the Irish Sea and headed for the Bristol Channel. She was spotted by the German Submarine UB-91 which fired one torpedo at the Tampa. She exploded amidships and sank with the loss of 115 officers and men as well as 16 passengers, one of whom was Henry Walter Vaughan.
Henry Vaughan is remembered on the Southern Grammar School WW1 Memorial. The portrait image is included as part of a memorial Booklet by Southern Grammar School.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Robert Freke Gould No. 2874 E.C.||Gibraltar|
12th May 1917
9th June 1917
14th July 1917
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley