|1. Memorial:||Aveluy Communal Cemetery Extension||K 6|
|2. Book:||The Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918|
Awards & Titles:
Early Life :Married Mary Adelaide Hatley Bacon on 10th February, 1916. She was an actress known as Mai Bacon, later to have a successful career as a comedian and singer with the Entertainments National Service Association (ENSA) in the Second World War.
Education & Career :
London Rowing Club "He was educated at Marlborough (1900-02) and The Ley's School, Cambridge (1902-04), where he was a Tri-Colour. From 1907 to 1911 he was a student at the Royal School of Mines in South Kensington where he graduated with a degree-level Associateship (ARSM). He was a contemporary of F.P. Lacy qv.
Lieutenant Calver joined London in February 1911 but rowed only in that year, winning the Old Barnes Challenge Cup at the Metropolitan Amateur Regatta (with J J Craggs and F P Lacy qqv in the crew) and the Club's Layton Pairs (with M B Higgins qv). He also raced in the Thames Challenge Cup crew at Henley.
He worked as a mining engineer for companies in South Africa (including at the Robinson Deep Gold Mine) and Rhodesia. He returned to England in October 1914, and obtained a commission in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. He was later attached to the Royal Engineers, where he was posted tot he 175th Tunnelling Company, one of the first tunneling officers to be sent overseas. Badly wounded in the Spring of 1915, he was invalided home"
"Lieutenant Calvert went out to the Front again in July 1916. He was killed in action in the Somme on January 30th 1917 by a shell as he was bringing his men out of the trenches. He was aged 30."
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit :||175th Tunnelling Company|
|Action :||Operations on the Ancre|
The Times - 10th February 1917 "Lieutenant Lionel Calvert, RE, formerly of the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry, killed on January 30th, was the only son of the late James Calvert, JP, of Highfield, Danehill, Sussex. He was educated at Marlborough, The Leys School, Cambridge and the Royal School of Mines, where he obtained his diploma as an associate of the Royal School of Mines. He then went to South Africa and was employed in an important position on the Robinson Deep Gold Mine. He was an associate of the Institute of Mining and Metallurgy. When war broke out he returned to England and obtained a commission in the Duke of Cornwall's Light Infantry. Six months later he was transferred to the Royal Engineers. In April, 1915, he was wounded and invalided home. In February, 1916, he married Mai Bacon, daughter of Mr and Mrs Hatley Bacon, of 38 Commercial Street, Leeds, and 16 Kenilworth Avenue, Harrogate. he again left for the Front in July, 1916, and it was while commanding a section there that he was killed. His commanding officer writes : He was idolized by his men and popular with his brother officers - We all feel the loss from the bottom of our hearts of a gallant comrade who has set us all such a splendid example of courage and devotion to duty. Lieutenant Calvert leaves a son."
11 January - 13 March 1917. Operations on the Ancre concerned the gradual advance in the area around Miramont during which the Germans retired towards the Hindenburg Line defences.
Citations & Commemorations :Commemorated at Danehill Memorial, Sussex. He is further commemorated on the the plaque recording "the memory of those members of the London Rowing Club who Fell n the Great War 1914-1919," and a commemorative booklet of the same.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Canterbury No. 1635 E.C.||London|
11th January 1916
Lionel only made his first degree, the contribution records showing that directly after being initiated his war service and a final annotation of "Killed in Action 1917."
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
Document : 1933 - Masonic Roll of Honour - Freemasons' Hall Vestibule - United Grand Lodge of England Researcher : Bruce Littley