|1. Book:||The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918||Pg.123|
|2. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||2C GQS|
Awards & Titles:
Family :Married Mary Emma Payne on the 3rd June 1884.
Education & Career :
Marine Engineer, Sunderland, 1901.
Chief Engineer, 1915.
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit / Ship / Est.: Not Yet Known|
|Action : Naval Campaign|
Naval Campaign is defined as to include all sea operations where attrition rates are in ones and twos and which do not fall within specific naval battles such as Jutland, Coronel, Falklands etc. This includes Merchant Navy losses.
Probate record shows: GOWDY, John Liddle of 20 Chatsworth Street, Sunderland, died 18 January 1915 at sea. Probate Durham 2 March to Mary Emma Gowdy, Widow. Effects £355 10s.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||St John's No. 80 E.C.||Durham|
11th June 1901
14th August 1901
10th June 1902
The Lodge Summons for 19th April 1921 gives the following detail: In Fraternal Remembrance of our Glorious Dead: Bro. J.L. Gowdy, Chief Engineer. Perished off the Norfolk Coast 18th January 1915.
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley