|1. Memorial:||Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, Flanders||Panel 8 and 12.|
|2. Book:||The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918||Pg.126|
|3. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||47D GQS|
Awards & Titles:
Family :Son of Mr. W. D. and Mrs. M. A. Humble, of 13, Queen's Drive, Whitley Bay, Northumberland.
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit / Ship / Est.: 1/6 Northumberland Fusiliers|
1/6th Battalion August 1914 : in St George's Drill Hall, Newcastle. Part of Northumberland Brigade, Northumbrian Division. April 1915 : landed in France. May 1915 : became 149th Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Division, in France. 15 July 1918 : reduced to cadre strength and transferred to Lines of Communication. 16 August 1918 : transferred to 118th Brigade, 39th Division. 10 November 1918 : disbanded in France.
|Action : The Battles of Ypres 1915 (Second Ypres)|
22 April - 25 May 1915. On the 22nd April 1915 the Germans used poison gas at Ypres. This was the first 'official' use of gas and took the Allies by surprise. After initial success capitalising on the confusion and horror of this weapon, a heroic stand, initially by the Canadians and then supported by British and Indian Battalions, held the German advance. However it became clear that the Germans had achieved a tactical advantage and eventually the British were forced to retire to more a more defendable perimeter closer to Ypres. These positions were on the last ridges before Ypres and their loss would have resulted in the loss of the town and possibly open the Channel coast to German occupation with disastrous consequences for the re-supply of the BEF.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Tynemouth Abbey No. 2971 E.C.||Unknown|
20th March 1912
15th May 1912
18th June 1912
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley