1. Memorial:Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, FlandersPanel 33
2. Book:The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918Pg.128
3. Memorial:The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour30B GQS

Awards & Titles:


Family :

Youngest son of William and Mary L'Anson of Bardencroft, Saltburn by the Sea.

Service Life:


Unit / Ship / Est.: 4th Battalion The Yorkshire Regiment 

1/4th Battalion August 1914 : in Northallerton. Part of York & Durham Brigade, Northumbrian Division. 18 April 1915 : landed at Boulogne. 14 May 1915 : formation became 150th Brigade, 50th (Northumbrian) Division. 16 July 1918 : reduced to cadre strength and moved to Lines of Communication. 16 August 1918 : transferred to 116th Brigade, 39th Division. 6 November 1918 : demobilised.

Action : The Battles of Ypres 1915 (Second Ypres) 

22 April - 25 May 1915. On the 22nd April 1915 the Germans used poison gas at Ypres. This was the first 'official' use of gas and took the Allies by surprise. After initial success capitalising on the confusion and horror of this weapon, a heroic stand, initially by the Canadians and then supported by British and Indian Battalions, held the German advance. However it became clear that the Germans had achieved a tactical advantage and eventually the British were forced to retire to more a more defendable perimeter closer to Ypres. These positions were on the last ridges before Ypres and their loss would have resulted in the loss of the town and possibly open the Channel coast to German occupation with disastrous consequences for the re-supply of the BEF.

Detail :

LEONARD PERCY L'ANSON LIEUTENANT, 1/4 YORKSHIRE REGIMENT Leonard L'ANSON was the youngest son of Mr. and Mrs. W L'Anson of Bardencroft, Saltburn, North Yorkshire. From 1913 he had been Commanding Officer of the Skelton G Company and had his own business as a Solicitor in Middlesbrough. He was engaged to Elsie, the sister of the three Constantine brothers, who were all also officers in the 4th Battalion, one of whom, Herbert, was killed in 1918. On 22nd April 1915 the Germans released chlorine gas to the North of Ypres which created a large gap in the front line as French troops were caught unawares and fell back in some disorder. Initially the Canadian Division heroically plugged the gap and held the line against overwhelming odds but more support was needed to prevent a German breakthrough. By 23rd April an ad hoc group of battalions under the command of Colonel Geddes (known as 'Geddes Force') was moved into the front line and tried to counter attack. In general the daylight attack over open ground helped stabilize the situation but at great cost, until the Indian Corps was brought up a few days later to finally stem the German ambitions. As the German attack switched to the East of St Julien more British battalions were thrown into the defence, including the 1 /4 Yorkshire Regiment (The Green Howards). The 1/4 Yorkshires were the first part of a detachment of 5 battalions pushed into the line to stop the German attack SW of St Julien, near Ypres. The Division History says - On through Fortuin the two Battalions went, next encountering the enemy in force advancing south of St Julien. They forced the enemy to give ground and drove him back into the village. They then found themselves up against a muddy stream, known as the Hannebeek, on the southern exists of St Julien and, the crossings being swept by heavy rifle and machine-gun fire, the two Battalions were forced to take what cover presented itself. Casualties during this affair were severe, but the counter-attack was completely successful and, besides preventing the Germans from making any further advance on the 24th reflected the greatest credit upon the two gallant Battalions. In the days action the Battalion lost:- Major H.C. Matthews. Capt J.V. Nancarrow. Lt L.P. I'Anson and 2nd Lt E Darwin killed. 2nd Lt H.B Blackett wounded. 10 other ranks were killed and 59 wounded. In very wet conditions, at 8pm, they reached trenches south of the Potijze Chateau. There they had another man killed and some slightly wounded". Leonard L'Anson had only been in Belgium for one week. The Division Memorial is erected in St Julien in memory of this gallant attack.

Masonic :

TypeLodge Name and No.Province/District :
Mother : Ferrum No. 1848 E.C.Yorkshire (North & East Ridings)

11th February 1903
11th March 1903
8th April 1903

Proposed by Bro H Meredith-Hardy and Bro S Thompson, both being Solicitors. Whilst he was not in office when he died, he had held the office of Senior Deacon and Secretary.

Source :

The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:

Additional Source:

Last Updated: 2017-08-05 08:34:51