|1. Memorial:||New Irish Farm Cemetery|
|2. Book:||The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918||Pg.129|
|3. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||8A GQS|
Awards & Titles:
Family :Son of Edward Melland, of Alport, Bakewell, Derbyshire, and of Katharine Alice Melland, his wife.
Education & Career :
Born in New Zealand and educated at Dunedin and Oamaru before joining Shrewsbury.
he was in Chance’s (now Severn Hill) and left in 1908.
He went up to New College, Oxford and graduated.
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit / Ship / Est.: 8/Cheshire Regiment|
|Action : Other actions in Spring 1915|
The official dates cover the period from 15th June 1915 to 8th August 1915. This is the period on the Western Front following the piecemeal engagements North of the La Bassee canal at Aubers Ridge, Festubert & Givenchy but before the Battle of Loos, the largest Western Front battle of 1915.
Killed in action, shot by a sniper in Flanders, Belgium, 1 July 1915, aged 26
Buried at New Irish Farm Cemetery, Belgium. Grave III. D. 17.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||Apollo University No. 357 E.C.||Oxfordshire|
31st May 1910
25th October 1910
22nd November 1910
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley
Researcher : Tom Hawley