1. Memorial:Ypres (Menin Gate) Memorial, FlandersPanel 54
2. Book:The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918Pg.130
3. Memorial:The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour29B GQS

Awards & Titles:


Service Life:


Unit / Ship / Est.: 12th Battalion London Regiment (The Rangers) 

1/12th (County of London) Battalion (The Rangers) August 1914 : at 14 Chenies Street. Part of 3rd London Brigade, 1st London Division. Moved on mobilisation to Bullswater, going on in September to Crowborough. In October, guarded the Waterloo-North Camp (Aldershot) railway and in December went to Roehampton. 25 December 1914 : left the Division and landed at Le Havre. 8 February 1915 : came under command of 84th Brigade in 28th Division. 20 May 1915 : transferred to GHQ Troops and formed a composite unit with 1/5th and 1/13th Bns. Resumed identity 11 August. 12 February 1916 : transferred to 168th Brigade in 56th (London) Division. 31 January 1918 : transferred to 175th Brigade in 58th (2/1st London) Division, absorbed the disbanded 2/12th Bn and renamed 12th Bn.

Action : The Battles of Ypres 1915 (Second Ypres) 

22 April - 25 May 1915. On the 22nd April 1915 the Germans used poison gas at Ypres. This was the first 'official' use of gas and took the Allies by surprise. After initial success capitalising on the confusion and horror of this weapon, a heroic stand, initially by the Canadians and then supported by British and Indian Battalions, held the German advance. However it became clear that the Germans had achieved a tactical advantage and eventually the British were forced to retire to more a more defendable perimeter closer to Ypres. These positions were on the last ridges before Ypres and their loss would have resulted in the loss of the town and possibly open the Channel coast to German occupation with disastrous consequences for the re-supply of the BEF.

Detail :

GEORGE EDGAR NASH PRIVATE, 1/12 LONDON REGIMENT (THE RANGERS) The story of what happened to the 1/Monmouths and the 1/12 London Regiment (The Rangers) is linked and is described in the Official History under the heading ‘The Stand and Annihilation of the 84th Brigade: Counter attack of the 1/12 London Regiment’. Three Brethren, Lieutenant Edward Stone PHILLIPS and Lt Col Charles Lawson ROBINSON of the Monmouths and Private George Edgar NASH of the 1/12 Londons died in the engagement. The Monmouths lost 21 officers and 439 other ranks on 8th May 1915. The Ranger’s story was as follows: On the night of May 2nd-3rd, the Battalion was sent to dig a trench line, fire and support trenches, on the Frezenburg ridge, and to man this, which was to become the front line in the event of a retirement from the salient at Zonnebeke taking place. This retirement took place the following night (May 3rd-4th) on which night the new line was improved. The German artillery soon found the new line on the Frezenburg ridge, and shelled it repeatedly, causing numerous casualties. Relief by the Monmouths, eagerly looked for by the troops now wearied with the strain of many days under continual shell fire, took place on the night May 7th-8th, and the Battalion retired to dug-outs behind the G.H.Q. line, arriving about 4 a.m. Heavy shelling of these dug-outs from about 6 a.m. onwards caused numerous casualties and forbade rest. At 11.15 a.m. came the order to advance in support of the Monmouths, the right of the Brigade line having been broken by the German advance. The Battalion, now about 200 strong, advanced with A, B and C Companies in the front line, led by Major Challen and Major Foucar, and D Company, under Captain Jones, in support, the Machine Gun Section with one gun only left, moving independently on the left flank. The Battalion had to pass through a gap in the barbed wire in front of the G.H.Q. line on which German machine-guns were trained, and suffered heavily in its passage. The whole of the ground over which the further advance took place was heavily shelled, and in places exposed to heavy rifle and machine-gun fire, so that the Battalion rapidly dwindled. A small remnant pushed forward to the rise where the trench line had been and there dug in, and stayed the German advance. (A captured British officer watching from the German lines records that “they came through a barrage of high explosive shells which struck them down by the dozens, but they never halted for a minute and continued the advance until hardly a man remained”) Of survivors there were ultimately collected by Sergeant W. J. Hornall (every Officer having been killed, wounded, or taken prisoner), 53, mainly pioneers and signallers. All the remainder were either taken prisoner, killed, missing or wounded. The determination of the attack, it is said, was such that the Germans thought it could only have been made by troops sure of speedy and strong support, not, as in fact was the case, by practically the last remaining troops between them and Ypres, and so the enemy dug in without further advance, and thus was achieved the object for which so many gallant souls gave up their lives. The few survivors, after assisting to dig trenches in the vicinity for the next two or three days were ultimately withdrawn to the rest they so richly deserved.

Masonic :

TypeLodge Name and No.Province/District :
Mother : Kensington No. 1767 E.C.London

17th January 1914
21st March 1914
16th May 1914

Source :

The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:

Additional Source:

Last Updated: 2017-08-06 18:58:16