|1. Grave:||Railway Dugouts Burial Ground||V. A. 2.|
|2. Book:||The (1921) Masonic Roll of Honour 1914-1918||Pg.136|
|3. Memorial:||The (1940) Scroll - WW1 Roll of Honour||55B GQS|
|4. Memorial:||Liverpool Masonic Hall War Memorial||Col.4. Hope St.|
Awards & Titles:
- The First World War 1914-1918, World-wide.
|Unit / Ship / Est.: 1/6 The King's (Liverpool Regiment)|
1/6th Battalion (Rifles) August 1914 : in Princes Park Barracks, Liverpool. Part of Liverpool Brigade, West Lancashire Division. 25 February 1915 : landed at Le Havre and transferred to 15th Brigade, 5th Division. 18 November 1915 : left Brigade and attached as Army Troops to Third Army. 26 January 1916 : transferred to 165th Brigade, 55th (West Lancashire) Division.
|Action : The Battles of Ypres 1915 (Second Ypres)|
22 April - 25 May 1915. On the 22nd April 1915 the Germans used poison gas at Ypres. This was the first 'official' use of gas and took the Allies by surprise. After initial success capitalising on the confusion and horror of this weapon, a heroic stand, initially by the Canadians and then supported by British and Indian Battalions, held the German advance. However it became clear that the Germans had achieved a tactical advantage and eventually the British were forced to retire to more a more defendable perimeter closer to Ypres. These positions were on the last ridges before Ypres and their loss would have resulted in the loss of the town and possibly open the Channel coast to German occupation with disastrous consequences for the re-supply of the BEF.
|Type||Lodge Name and No.||Province/District :|
|Mother :||St Michael's Temperance No. 3401 E.C.||West Lancashire|
15th February 1912
21st March 1912
18th April 1912
The project globally acknowledges the following as sources of information for research across the whole database:
- The Commonwealth War Graves Commission
- The (UK) National Archives
- Ancestry.co.uk - Genealogy, Family Trees & Family History online
- ugle.org.uk - The records of the United Grand Lodge of England including the Library and Museum of Freemasonry
- Founder Researchers : Paul Masters & Mike McCarthy
- Researcher : Bruce Littley